Hall of Fame second baseman Roberto Alomar was fired from two consulting roles and placed on baseball’s ineligible list Friday after an investigation into sexual misconduct allegations stemming from a workplace incident in 2014.
Alomar, 53, was terminated from his position as a consultant for MLB and was also fired by the Blue Jays, for whom he’d held a similar role. The Blue Jays also announced that the team is “severing all ties” with Alomar, which will include the removal of his banner from Rogers Centre and the removal of his name from the team’s Level of Excellence. Alomar played in Toronto from 1991 to 1995 and was part of the team’s two World Series titles.
“At my office’s request, an independent investigation was conducted by an external legal firm to review an allegation of sexual misconduct reported by a baseball industry employee earlier this year involving Mr. Alomar in 2014,” MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement announcing the punishments. “Having reviewed all of the available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB’s policies, and that termination of his consultant contract and placement on MLB’s Ineligible List are warranted.
“We are grateful for the courage of the individual who came forward,” Manfred continued. “MLB will continue to strive to create environments in which people feel comfortable speaking up without fear of recrimination, retaliation, or exclusion.”
TSN reported, citing an unnamed source, that the complaint against Alomar was filed “months ago” and claims that he displayed inappropriate behavior in an incident that happened years before. TSN also reported that the alleged victim was planning to sue Alomar, the Blue Jays and Major League Baseball, but the woman’s attorney issued a statement late Friday afternoon disputing the report.
“My client has no plans to file a lawsuit or take further action,” attorney Lisa Banks’ statement said in part. “She has not exposed Mr. Alomar’s behavior for notoriety or for money and looks forward to moving on with her life. She simply wants to ensure that Mr. Alomar is held accountable for his wrongdoing and hopes her actions can help Major League Baseball create a safer workplace for its employees.”
Alomar also released a statement Friday, tweeting that he was “disappointed, surprised and upset” by the news.
“With the current social climate, I understand why Major League Baseball has taken the position they have,” Alomar wrote. “My hope is that this allegation can be heard in a venue that will allow me to address the accusation directly.”
Meanwhile, Alomar’s plaque at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., will remain on display, Chairwoman Jane Forbes Clark said in a statement.
“The National Baseball Hall of Fame was shocked and saddened to learn of the news being shared today about Roberto Alomar. When he was elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America in the Class of 2011, Alomar was an eligible candidate in good standing,” the statement said. “His plaque will remain on display in the Hall of Fame in recognition of his accomplishments in the game, and his enshrinement reflects his eligibility and the perspective of the BBWAA voters at that time.”
Alomar played for seven teams during his 17-year MLB career and retired before the 2005 season.
This story has been updated.
Sporting News RSS